The Last Moments of a Prisoner by Ishola Oreofe.




The priest was instantly caught in my line of view, crawling towards us like the millipede I saw in my prison cell yesterday, as if giving me more time to enjoy life simple pleasures, such as the scorching sun blazing above my head. Christian it was, they didn’t even ask me who I wanted present for my final rites. They just assumed I was a Christian.

The army officers, five of them all had red eyes that carried the burden of what they were about to do and the unspeakable things they had done.

I was not remorseful. Some people say you
see a great bright light when you are standing at heaven’s gate, but the good Lord knows I am not a citizen of the celestial city. If given another chance to go back in time, I would still make the same ‘mistake’; killing that sister fucker was the best thing that happened to me.

The day I killed him, Chief Ajakoro was at his Lekki house eating green grapes as he squeezed the nipple of one of his numerous concubines. He almost died chocking on those grapes when I revealed myself to him. I am definitely going to hell to see the outcome of my hard work.

The chief’s warden spoke with a gloat, “Danny boy, it would only sting for a minute like the ants in the yard. Then all that would be left of you is silence.”

It was in this moment that the hungry looking priest with fat lips decided to grace this solemn congregation with his presence. I could not but wonder if he had just taken a bath or his clothes were really soaked with sweat which dripped from his bald head.

I could already see the future, the last thing I was going to see was this very priest breathing heavily, hands covering his ears, his lips moving as he says a prayer fervently, with urine dripping down his cassock. He was new to this business.

 I found myself laughing, and he looked like he was going to have a heart attack.

One! Two! Three! Fire!

The five terminators of my destiny stood in position, eye red with sweat doting their chins.

“Cut!” The director’s voice rang above all the noise. “Let’s take a lunch break.”


Comments

TRENDING POSTS

Sexual Abuse.

Side Chick.